Wednesday, August 20

Pine Mountain to Emerald City (1)

Belknap Springs. You park at the hotel and start wandering the trails in the woods behind it. Suddenly you come upon two stone pillars, and peering between them you see what must be the Garden of Eden. The sun finds a break in the clouds to shine down and spotlight a beautiful garden.

As I was taking off my shoes and socks to wiggle my toes in that beautiful green grass, a girl of 4 or 5 stared at me with wide eyes. "What's your name?" she asked.

"Cassie," I told her. she started to walk away, but I said, "What's your name?"

She ummed and ahhed and took a very long time to answer. Maybe she was making something up. Or maybe she'd just remembered she wasn't supposed to be talking to strangers.

Finally she said, "Emma."

"That's a pretty name," I told her, but my head was already thinking of poor Emma that went crazy and fell through her ceiling while playing with dolls in the attic. I wonder if the little girl took so long to answer because she was looking for a name to pick out of my brain.

Funny how things start to come together, following the ley lines.

 

No comments: